The UK is a prime destination for immigrants from around the world. Hundreds of thousands of people submit applications to the Home Office every year. Tens of thousands annually come here for work, business, study, visits, asylum and residency in the country.

First Law Solicitors is one of the best immigration solicitor’s offices in the UK. Every year our consultants work with hundreds of clients and help them make a successful application to the Home Officefor travelling to the country. The immigration law is not as easy as people might think and you need a specialized immigration firm on your side to improve your chances of approval.

Our strategically located office in Manchester has been providing legal services nationally.We have also been serving the international community in their UK immigration matters. Most of our clients come from abroad who are looking for a reliable firm to help them legally move and settle in the country. We also work with people who are already in the country and looking to switch their visa category or settle in the UK.

Tier 1 (General) Highly Skilled Migrant – Indefinite Leave to Remain

This is a popular category and also one of the toughest to qualify for. It is based on the points system. In order to be successful, applicants have to score at least 95 points out of a total of 145. Points are based on qualifications, previous earning, UK work experience and age.

* Qualifications (35 – 45 Points)
* Previous Earnings: (5 – 75 points)
* UK experience (5 Points max.)
* Age: (5-20 points)

Applicants also have to fulfil language and maintenance fund requirements. Get in touch with our immigration experts for a free assessment about your eligibility today.

Tier 4 (General) Students

The education standard in the UK is very high with some of the best Universities in the world located here. A large number of international students come here to study every year. The UK offers courses in various disciplines that can help students succeed anywhere.

Whether you are looking to enrol in a UK education institute and need guidance or already hold a CAS letter, our expert immigration solicitors can help. We can help you initiate the application process and guide you along every step of the way to get your study visa.

Point Based System (PBS) Dependents

Under the UK immigration laws, the family members of immigrants, such as their spouse or children under the age of 18, are considered dependants. Immigrants who have legally come into the UK for work or study can bring their dependants with them.

To qualify under this category, the applicant must be the dependant family member of a person who has or is applying for leave to remain under Tier 1, 2 or 5 points based system. The dependants of a person who has qualified on a PBS system are known as PBS dependents.

There are certain requirements that must be fulfilled for people applying under this category. The most important of these is the documentary proof establishing dependency. The visa office will perform verification checks before making a decision. Applicants will also need to complete maintenance fund and language requirements.

Spouse Visas

This category of visa enables the spouse or civil partner of a British national or a person who has settled in the UK, to apply and come into the country.

Usually, this type of visa must be obtained by the applicant before coming into the UK. In certain cases however, a person can switch to this visa category if they are already in the UK on a different category. Please consult with our legal experts to find out how you can apply and whether you qualify for the visa or not.

Apart from general visa requirements, there are certain conditions that must be met by the applicant such as minimum income level (Financial Requirements) or maintenance funds (Maintenance Requirements)and English Language Requirements under the Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules.

Short Term, Visit Visas & Sponsorships

These are short-term visas, usually allow the visitors to stay in the UK for a period of less than six months. These visas are used for tourism or general visits such as attending a conference or sporting event. The visa duration usually lasts for 3 – 6 months and there are certain restrictions on switching to another category.

If you are planning to visit the UK get in touch with our legal team and they will help expedite the process of applying under this category for the following visas;

  • Standard Visitor visa
  • Marriage Visitor visa
  • Short-term study visa
  • Parent of a Tier 4 child visa
  • Permitted Paid Engagement visa
  • Visit the UK in a Chinese tour group

EEA Migration

The UK voted to leave the EU in 2016. The formal process of leaving the union began in 2017 and it is expected to conclude in 2019.

The separation from the EU poses many challenges for the millions of EU nationals who are in the country without visas. They will be required to submit an application for staying here or bringing their spouse/partners into the country in the future.

The legal experts at First Law Solicitors have been keeping a close eye on developments and we are already working with hundreds of clients from Europe to help keep their stay in the country legally compliant.

We can provide assistance to people with the following types of situation.


  • EEA Registration Certificate (For EEA Nationals in the UK)
  • EEA Family Permit Applications (For non-EEA family members)
  • EEA Residence Card (For non-EEA family members)
  • EEA Permanent Residence Card (For EEA & Non-EEA Nationals)
  • EEA Residence Card Under Retained rights of residence(For non-EEA family members of deceased EEA national or Ex-family member of an EEA national)
  • EEA Permanent Residence Card Under Retained rights of residence(For non-EEA family members of deceased EEA national or Ex-family member of an EEA national)

Get in touch with First Law Solicitors to get guidance and help for staying in the country legally after Brexit takes effect. We can provide legal advice for the following applications.

Dependent and Adult Dependent Relatives

This visa allows adult dependent relatives to come and live with their family members in the UK. The applicant must obtain a visa before travelling to the UK. Once the visa is granted they will have limited leave to remain in the UK. There are certain conditions that must be fulfilled before an indefinite leave to remain in the country is granted.

The visa allows people to come into the country who are aged 18 or over and a parent, grandparent, brother, sister, son or daughter of a British citizen. Both the applicant and the sponsoring British citizen will need to meet a strict set of requirements in order to qualify through this visa category.

Get in touch with First Law Solicitors to get expert legal advice to bring your adult dependent relatives in the UK.

Naturalisation & Registration as a British Citizen

Naturalisation is a legal process that allows an individual to change their nationality and become citizen of a country other than the one they are born in.

For many centuries, the UK has had an open policy allowing foreign nationals the ability to attain British citizenship through the process of naturalisation or registration.

You can be eligible for naturalisation under the following conditions.

  • you have another form of British nationality
  • you were born before 1 January 1983 to a British mother
  • you were born to a British father, even if he was not married to your mother
  • you were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983
  • you’re under 18 and do not fit into the other categories
  • you have a connection with Gibraltar or Hong Kong
  • you’re stateless

You can register as a British citizen by starting a formal application with the UK visas and immigration office. Please get in touch with our team to get legal guidance on how to start the process.

Asylum Claims

The UK has a proud tradition of standing up for human rights and providing safety to refugees fleeing war-torn countries. Foreign nationals or stateless people who fear persecution as defined by the UN Convention may claim asylum in the UK.

Asylum must be claimed in person and the individual must be in the UK to claim asylum here. A person who has previously been harmed or persecuted but who no longer faces that threat does not qualify for refugee status under the UN Convention.

We advise claiming asylum as soon as entering the UK. Delaying the start of the process can complicate the case and make it more difficult to make a successful claim. Please get in touch with our legal experts to find out more about claiming asylum.

Human Rights Applications and Representations

Laws can take time to catch up with human needs. We’ve often seen people struggle with Home Office to fight deportation.

Based on our experiences, we have seen that many people have  reasonable humanitarian grounds for being in the UK as they fear facing persecution and violence if they return home. However, laws in the UK can be strict forcing deportation on these people.

We have worked with hundreds of such clients and helped them stay legally in the country. Our consultants have helped people successfully get legal stay in the country and we can do the same for you.

If you are facing a similar situation you can make an application to the Home Office on the basis of human rights and representation. This is not a simple area and the laws surrounding human rights change frequently.

Our experienced lawyers can represent you in court, fight against unfair deportation attempts by the Home Office and appeal against any decisions in court.

Immigration Appeals

The Home Officecan sometimes deal harshly in dispensing immigration applications. We have seen plenty of cases where applications have been refused even though all the documentary requirements were fulfilled by the applicant.

The immigration law allows applicants the option of making an appeal against the Home Office’s refusal decision. We have seen many examples where an application was refused by the Home Office only to get accepted through the appeal process in the court of law. The UK has a fairly robust and strong legal system and you can trust our experienced lawyers to get a decision in your favour.

If the Home Office refuses your application, they will send you a letter informing you of their decision. This is called your ‘notice of decision’. The notice of decision will also state your appeal rights.

Applicants for some types of visas, such as dependents of settled persons in the UK or British citizens have full rights of appeal if their application is refused. Get in touch with our advisors to find out more about the appeal process and how we can help.

Judicial Reviews (JR)

A judicial review is performed by the Administrative High Court or Upper Tribunal. It is a process of reviewing acts and decisions made by a public officesuch as the Home Office or UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).

If your visa application has been refused you can ask for a judicial review in the court of law. A reviewcan be done for matters related to procedural issues and in relation to whether the decision was correct according to the law. For example, if the Home Office fails to take a specific section of UK law into account, the matter can be raised in the court for judicial review.

Judicial reviews are very complicated. Although anyone can ask for one, you should always seek legal advice where possible on applying for a judicial review. Sometimes, the JR can come back negative with even harsher implications for the applicant than the original decision by the Home Office.

Our legal advisors will thoroughly review your case to make sure that in case of a request for judicial review, the decision is likely to come in your favor.

Administrative Reviews (AR)

For certain types of visa refusals, such as rejection of a PBS application, the applicants have the option of going for an administrative review.

An administrative review is a review of your visa application, carried out by a different Home Office official. You cannot submit new evidence or documents in support of an administrative review so this is only a suitable option if you believe that you submitted all the correct documentation but the Home Office made a mistake in refusing you a visa.

If your visa application has been refused, please consult our legal experts who will review the reasons for refusal and advise you accordingly. Our experts can help determine the best course of action such as appeal, administrative review or judicial review for your case.

Detention Matters

People who are in the UK illegally, or don’t have a valid visa, can be detained at any time by the Immigration Officials or Border Force. Detention usually occurs at the airport or at the UK borders but if a person is in the UKillegallywithout a visaor working without a right to work the local police or the Immigration Officials can also arrest them. The Home Officemay also detain a person if their visa has expired and they have not made any valid renewal application.

Foreign nationals who are detained by the immigration or other officials are kept at specialized facilities meant for detentions. As of now, there are eight detention centres in the country and three short-term holding facilities.

While in detention, the detainee is allowed access to a legal team to help make a case for their stay in the UK. If you are currently facing a similar situation, then please get in touch with our expert legal team who can guide you about your options and represent you in your detention matter.

Bail Application

A person who is being held in detention due to immigration matters can be granted bail as long as they undertake to abide by certain terms and conditions.The detained person (detainee) must have a ‘Financial Condition Supporter’ (also known as ‘Surety’). This is a person who.

  • Undertakes to pay money if the detainee breaks the terms of the bail
  • Can attend the detainees bail hearings


The detainee can apply for bail in 2 main ways.

  1. the Home Secretary (‘Secretary of State bail’) bail
  2. the First-tier Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber) bail

the detainee might be automatically referred for a bail hearing if he has been in detention for 4 months or more.

The detainee can apply to the Upper Tribunal or Administrative High Court for a judicial review of the government’s decision to detainhim, if they think that the decision to detain or to maintain detention was unlawful. The Upper tribunal or Administrative High Court, if his application for judicial review is granted, may direct to the Home Office to release the detainee on ‘Secretary of State bail’.